per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] avoiding dynamic metadata queries
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:39:05 -0400

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Cantor, Scott
> On 7/27/16, 11:22 AM,
> "
> on behalf of Tom Scavo"
> <
> on behalf of
> >
> wrote:
>
>> As Paul and others suggested on today's call, can we agree that almost
>> everything of interest can be known in advance and can therefore be
>> pre-computed? If we focus on per-entity metadata only, this is
>> certainly true.
>
> Yes, and within the scope of what the federation *needs* (as opposed to
> what various people may want or like or be interested in exploring), I
> believe that's the sole use case we ought to address.

Okay, so the current MDQ protocol spec mandates (I believe) that an
MDQ server MUST serve up an "all entities" aggregate at a pre-defined
endpoint. I've always thought that requirement should be relaxed: An
"all entities" aggregate MUST be served at such-and-such an endpoint
location but a server is NOT REQUIRED to provide such an aggregate.

Thoughts?