metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] SP Requesting DCV for On Prem Software

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] SP Requesting DCV for On Prem Software

  • From: "Garmer, Jack - garmercj" <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] SP Requesting DCV for On Prem Software
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 21:36:35 +0000

Good Evening!

My name is Jack and I’m a systems admin with James Madison University. I am new to Shibboleth and InCommon Federation Services, so if I am posting in the wrong area, please let me know!

A few months ago I was hired to replace an admin who has been supporting Shibboleth for our organization for several years. Now that I’m a little more up to speed, I’m starting to work with vendors to set up SSO with their products. Last week, we started working with a vendor who is setting up an on-prem solution for us. The vendor has been somewhat reluctant to release their metadata information to us, and has request us to complete a DCV for them to publish metadata to InCommon on our behalf. From what I understand, the DCV gives authorization to create certificates using our domain, which may be a decision that is above my level.

My question is: is it common practice to authorize creation of certificates and metadata on behalf of an organization by an outside vendor? It doesn’t appear we’ve done this in any of our other installations so I’m a little leery.

Thank you for your help!

--

Jack Garmer

Linux Systems Administrator