metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: conflicting metadata requirements from InCommon

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: conflicting metadata requirements from InCommon

  • From: Nick Roy <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Re: conflicting metadata requirements from InCommon
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:50:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 3/27/18 8:51 AM, Scott Koranda wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Huh, well 500 of the 3519 Logos I see in the aggregate are embedded.
>> I rather like the option to not have to download the logo every time
>> one of my users logs in.
>>
>> Anyone know if that was a willful choice to remove the upload option
>> or did it just get forgotten during some code update? Was there some
>> other process to get metadata to the federation in the past that had
>> an embedded image option?
>
> The InCommon team, probably Nick Roy, can speak to the capabilities of
> the federation manager past and present.
>
> I suspect that most if not all of the embedded logos you currently see
> are those coming into the InCommon metadata aggregate through eduGAIN.
> Using embedded images is more popular in other federations.
>
> I understand why the embedded logos are attractive but at this time I
> would prefer they are not used. The InCommon metadata aggregate is
> already quite large and adding embedded logos will only make the problem
> worse.

This is the reason we don't support embedded logos in the InCommon
Federation Manager and don't plan to until after we get per-entity
metadata deployed in production. Yes, Keith/Scott are correct, these
embedded logos are in entities not registered by InCommon. They are
imported from other federations via eduGAIN.

Best,

Nick