metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:25:01 -0500

[Mike, can you subscribe to the mailing list please?]

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Mike Flynn
> Since the UK federation now includes InCommon, can I drop the separate

This is a good question. Last time I checked, your SP
(https://shib.lynda.com/shibboleth-sp) was filtered by our eduGAIN
import process [1] because the SP is already registered by InCommon.
So you have at least two entity descriptors floating around: one is
being consumed by InCommon participants while the other is being
consumed by every other federation in the world via eduGAIHN.

You (and others like you) have decisions to make. You can leave things
as they are but that forces you to maintain at least two entity
descriptors (in this case, in both InCommon and UK federation). That
may be acceptable (or even desirable), I don't know.

Alternatively, you can choose a "home" federation and consolidate your
metadata there. That's easier to maintain, but like I said, it's your
choice. You may have good reasons to participate in two or more
federations. It depends on the situation.

Hope this helps,

Tom

[1] https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/JwODBQ