metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] UK Federation and InCommon
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:18:59 +0000

On 25 Feb 2016, at 16:48, Mike Flynn <> wrote:

Since the UK federation now includes InCommon, can I drop the separate loading of InCommon?

You almost certainly don't need to load both, but you can probably pick either to load as both federations have an opt-out policy for IdPs.

There will be some IdPs that appear in one federation aggregate but not the other, and you should check those against your customer list before deciding. For example, there are still a number of SAML 1 only IdPs in the UKf which don't appear in InCommon at this point, but the great majority of those are part of a service run by Eduserv which are being converting to SAML 2 at a pretty rapid rate. So within the next couple of months, the UKf and InCommon aggregates will have very similar IdP collections.

In the long run, obviously what we all want is that you'd pick the federation which is most obviously your "home" federation, register with that and get global reach by just consuming metadata from that single source. We're probably closer to that point than you might think.

    -- Ian