metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] significant slowdown in XML Signature validation

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] significant slowdown in XML Signature validation

  • From: Jeffrey Eaton <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] significant slowdown in XML Signature validation
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:13:27 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I've been doing some testing.

I wrote some scripts to take the InCommon metadata file, split it into two
files - one containing just SPs, the other containing IDPs, and then signed
them both with my own certificate (with the same sha256 signatures). Loading
just the IDP metadata file (which is about 13MB) and starting shibd takes
about 20 seconds, compared to over a minute for loading the whole InCommon
file. Furthermore, the resident size of the shibd process drops from 256MB
with the full InCommon file, down to about 120MB with just the IDP metadata
loaded.

Is there any particular reason why InCommon puts all of the SPs and IDPs
together into one big metadata file? As I understand it, the Service
Provider only needs to load the metadata for IDPs, and vice-versa, so there's
a lot of bloat in the file that doesn't really need to be there for normal
operations.

-jeaton