metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Testing our IDP from our development shibboleth

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Testing our IDP from our development shibboleth

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Perry Willett <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Testing our IDP from our development shibboleth
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:59:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 10/17/14, 4:54 PM, "Ken Weiss"

>If you are trying to integrate with the CDL DMPTool application, that SP
>is part of the InCommon Research and Scholarship category
>(https://incommon.org/federation/info/all-sp-categories.html#SPs).
> The simplest thing to do is add support for the Research and Scholarship
>category to your IDP. That makes the release of the required attributes
>automatic.

They may be wanting to test various things, such as adding that kind of
policy to the IdP, so that doesn't preclude a desire to do some kind of
staging. It's simply the case that that does not require what people
usually think it does.

Eventually people get more comfortable with the kinds of changes that
don't require more than simple sanity checking, but in the early stages,
people are very risk averse. The nice thing about flows that don't involve
any back-channels is that you have complete carte blanche to do that
testing without anybody else's help. Using a second IdP is much more
complex, and often requires actual involvement by the SP, which makes it
totally impractical at scale.

-- Scott