md-distro - Re: [md-distro] Last actions

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] Last actions

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] Last actions
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:22:45 +0000

On 9 Jan 2014, at 21:13, Joe St Sauver

> FWIW, I'd also note that if HSMs are going to be part of the equation, we
> have the ability to offer the SafeNet LUNA HSMs through the multifactor
> program agreement with SafeNet, but not at much of a discount from list
> prices.

Just in passing, I'd note that Leif's investigations in this area ended up
with them buying a pair of the virtualisable Luna boxes, which he's hoping
will be the only HSMs they will need to buy until technology moves on a step.
I believe they bought pretty beefy versions, because they plan to use them
for all sorts of things, some of which might be doing pretty high frequency
private key operations.

While talking to Leif about this on Friday, I also mentioned to him that we
have been having this discussion and that I was hoping that he might be
amenable to giving us a brain dump of his thought processes at some stage. He
seemed surprisingly OK with that idea.

-- Ian