md-distro - Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:49:29 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 10/28/13, 4:44 PM, "Tom Scavo"

>> To ensure compatibility, if your app depends on OpenSSL, you should
>>compile it yourself and statically link a known version of OpenSSL into
>>your app. Such use works on both iOS and OS X.
>
>Thanks John, that's interesting. I'm sure there's a reason why the
>Shib SP doesn't do this today...

You can't statically link to libraries, because you almost always have
multiple libraries that all need to be linked to the same library. Static
linking gives you multiple copies of the library in the process that don't
share state.

It also makes patching impossible, since every application linked to
something has to be recompiled any time there's a bug.

-- Scott