md-distro - Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] questions about Phase 1 implementation plan
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:48:56 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Haven't reviewed the material, but some quick answers...

On 10/28/13, 11:23 AM, "Tom Scavo"

>I've made some assumptions, however, which may or may not be true. Are
>the following assumptions correct?
>
>- The Shibboleth IdP does not have any issues.

I believe that's true.

>- A Windows-based Shibboleth SP deployment does not have any issues
>(since OpenSSL is included in the Shibboleth distribution).

An up to date one doesn't. I don't know how far back you'd have to get to
have a problem, but probably pretty far.

>- All other (non-Windows) Shibboleth SP deployments are completely
>dependent on the version of OpenSSL bundled with the underlying
>operation system.

That's only true on Linux actually. Solaris varies widely and there are
many different versions one might have, not all of which come from the OS.

On the Mac, the supported approach is macports, which should be a current
version, but again if it were an old install, it would depend. I don't
know what version Apple has provided going backwards, it's 0.9.8 on
Mavericks (yes, really). If you did a source build using their libraries
and not macports, then, it would depend on the OS.

>- If your metadata process depends on an incompatible version of
>OpenSSL, the recommended action is to upgrade the underlying operating
>system.

See above, it's not that simple except on Linux.

-- Scott