md-distro - Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] MDX Support
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:36:58 +0100

On 22 Aug 2013, at 20:17, Tom Scavo

> I really don't like using the word
> "query" in this context since it gives the wrong impression.

It may surprise you to hear that I agree. I think it's the lesser of two
evils, though, as the protocol *does* have query semantics and even allows
for a very constrained query algebra. That's even without possible
extensions to explicitly refer to entity attributes.

> Even today on the TAC call folks were talking about "metadata query" in the
> sense of "arbitrary ad hoc query for metadata." I didn't say anything
> but I shudder every time I hear the word used in that way.

If you can think of a way of setting appropriate expectations, I'd welcome
suggestions for how to do that (on the MDX list, please). At the moment,
though, "query" is accurate and (in my view) a lesser misaligned expectation
than you get if talking about "exchange".

-- Ian