md-distro - Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] MDX Support
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:17:15 -0400

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Ian Young

> If we're going to refer to the metadata query protocol, please say that or
> use an abbreviation other than MDX. md-query is the one that Chad used in
> the earliest Internet-Draft document name, and I've retained that. It's
> not a bad option.

Okay, I changed the name of the document to "Metadata Query Protocol"
and removed the abbreviation "MDX" from the document. I have to say,
though, I did this reluctantly. I really don't like using the word
"query" in this context since it gives the wrong impression. Even
today on the TAC call folks were talking about "metadata query" in the
sense of "arbitrary ad hoc query for metadata." I didn't say anything
but I shudder every time I hear the word used in that way.