md-distro - Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] MDX Support

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] MDX Support
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:21:51 +0100

On 22 Aug 2013, at 16:49, Tom Scavo

> I tried to capture the results of the discussion we had last week:
>
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/BoGDAg
>
> Please edit for correctness and/or clarity.

One general point I have is about the title. "MDX" was a contraction we used
for "MetaData eXchange" quite a long time before development on the spec
we're talking about was started. It was used as the name of the mailing list
where that work was discussed (and is still discussed).

The specification we are talking about is, however, called "Metadata Query
Protocol". There's no X in that. There's also no notion of "exchange" in
the specification. It's a protocol for querying, not exchanging.

If we're going to refer to the metadata query protocol, please say that or
use an abbreviation other than MDX. md-query is the one that Chad used in the
earliest Internet-Draft document name, and I've retained that. It's not a
bad option. If you really want to use a TLA, use MDQ and let's leave MDX for
the more general concept which we haven't written a protocol for yet.

Feeling sympathy for RMS now.

-- Ian