interfed - [inc-interfed] aggregating eduGAIN metadata

Subject: Interfederation

[inc-interfed] aggregating eduGAIN metadata

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: [inc-interfed] aggregating eduGAIN metadata
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:30:04 -0500

The discussion we had on the call earlier today about aggregating
eduGAIN metadata was helpful, thanks. Let me try to summarize the
discussion (and feel free to chime in with your own PoV).

- The use of the preview aggregate as described was not as originally
intended but in fact UKf already does something similar. In any case,
I didn't hear any violent objection to using the preview aggregate in
this way so let's keep this on the table for the time being.

- There is a mixed PoV with respect to aggregating all metadata in a
single production aggregate. If you feel strongly that there should be
multiple aggregates for different audiences, then the onus is on you
to make a clear case (since I'm inclined to bundle everything together
in a single aggregate).

- Everyone agreed that manual vetting of metadata was expensive and
didn't scale.

The latter is certainly true, but it's also true that InCommon has
always had a significant manual vetting process so I'm not sure what
to take away from this. Are folks suggesting we treat InCommon
metadata differently than other metadata?

Without knowing how we vet metadata, I suppose that question will be
difficult to answer. Maybe this could be an agenda item on a future
call?