interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers

  • From: Leif Johansson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:19:53 +0200

On 06/09/2013 09:39 PM, Tom Scavo wrote:
> I spent some time browsing the eduGAIN metadata at location
> http://mds.edugain.org/. Very instructive.
>
> A couple of comments FWIW:
>
> - The eduGAIN spec requires an mdrpi:RegistrationPolicy element but no
> xml:lang attribute is required so various languages are encountered. I
> don't want to seem en-centric but what good is a registration policy
> document in a language that can't be read and/or understood? Yes, I
> realize this cuts both ways, so I don't know what to suggest.
Its very late in the game bringing stuff like this up given that
eduGAIN recently finalized a round of comments that resulted
in a set of revisions.

In general though the EU doesn't have a single-language policy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union
which in practice means you hire lots of translators.

> - Similarly, there are other elements (e.g., mdui:DisplayName) with
> xml:lang="en" that clearly are not.
>
> - Of the mdrpi:RegistrationPolicy element, the MDRPI spec says:
>
> "The URL MUST represent a single, immutable, policy document. Any
> changes made to an existing policy document MUST result in a new URL."
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm seeing URLs in eduGAIN metadata for which this is
> NOT true. Perhaps the eduGAIN spec should explicitly call this out?
>
> Tom
That sounds like an operational issue - you should just bring it
up on the eduGAIN technical list and have people fix it.

Cheers Leif