interfed - [inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers

Subject: Interfederation

[inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: [inc-interfed] eduGAIN metadata showstoppers
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 15:39:40 -0400

I spent some time browsing the eduGAIN metadata at location
http://mds.edugain.org/. Very instructive.

A couple of comments FWIW:

- The eduGAIN spec requires an mdrpi:RegistrationPolicy element but no
xml:lang attribute is required so various languages are encountered. I
don't want to seem en-centric but what good is a registration policy
document in a language that can't be read and/or understood? Yes, I
realize this cuts both ways, so I don't know what to suggest.

- Similarly, there are other elements (e.g., mdui:DisplayName) with
xml:lang="en" that clearly are not.

- Of the mdrpi:RegistrationPolicy element, the MDRPI spec says:

"The URL MUST represent a single, immutable, policy document. Any
changes made to an existing policy document MUST result in a new URL."

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing URLs in eduGAIN metadata for which this is
NOT true. Perhaps the eduGAIN spec should explicitly call this out?