interfed - Re: [inc-interfed] May agendas / Apr 30 notes

Subject: Interfederation

Re: [inc-interfed] May agendas / Apr 30 notes

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [inc-interfed] May agendas / Apr 30 notes
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 00:05:45 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 4/30/13 7:52 PM, "Tom Scavo"

>That's not the point I was trying to make (and I think you know that :)

I really don't know what the point is, I'm trying to understand the
problem. Why does it matter how many there are? The IdPs in the federation
are currently consuming all of those SPs, despite almost none of them
mattering, but I don't hear anybody asking for that to stop.

Why does this change when interfederation is involved?

What I would urge people to do is to assume that the model here is DNS.
You wouldn't suggest that DNS queries for servers that don't want me
talking to them be refused, would you? Why is this any different? It's an
/etc/hosts file, and if the problem is that /etc/hosts doesn't scale,
well, we know what the fix is.

>I didn't say that, but what evidence do we have that there are more
>than 12 federated SPs in InCommon metadata. Am I missing something?

I know there are more than that. It is more likely that the set prepared
to even think about interfederation is much smaller than even that 12, but
why should that drive the technical design here?

>We don't, and that's another take-away from this subgroup: We have a
>lot more work to do with respect to tagging entities in metadata.

Yes.

-- Scott