assurance - RE: [Assurance] RE: Remote Identity Proofing

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] RE: Remote Identity Proofing

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] RE: Remote Identity Proofing
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 22:14:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Wanted to get back to this thread:

> >> I'm wondering if any progress has been made on remote identity
> >> proofing procedures that could be used not only for InCommon Silver,
> >> but also for students who will never visit the physical campus.

My take on the CMU process is:

> 3. Proofer establishes VC with Actor.
> a. It is most optimal if someone the Proofer knows is with the Actor as
> a "chain of custody".

If you have a "Chain of Custody" representative, I think it's reasonable to
call this entire process an in-person registration. You might need a campus
policy statement formally allowing Proofers to "deputize" the "CoC" reps (and
defining under what circumstances) to formalize this, but the practice would
seem to allow this to be called in-person registration. You could have the
"CoC" representative also log in with their AndrewID (in step 6) to further
prove the "CoC's" identity.

>4. Actor presents to Proofer Official Photo ID - holding it up to the camera.
> a. Proofer verifies photo matches actor's face
> b. Proofer records ID Type, Issuer, ID number into ID-Proof Web App
> c. Actor provides AndrewID - Proofer validates AndrewID matches Actor
> d. Possibility of obtaining digital photo capture of Actor in VC
> e. If a "custodian" (see 3a) is present, record custodian AndrewID.

Presuming no "CoC" representative, I would ask two questions here:

1) Was Silver-level identity proofing done for delivery of the AndrewID?

If yes, then (option a) as I noted in my previous message, I think this is a
clear re-issuance of credentials ("re-issuing" the second factor), and that
this process is consistent with the re-issuance process.

If not (and I'll go out on a limb and assume this is the case), then the
question I'd ask is:

2) Can VC credential review be considered to be an "in person" interaction?

If so, then (option b) this would seem to meet the requirements of in-person
proofing as written, and the process would appear to be acceptable.

If not, then (option c) I'd suggest this be proposed as an Alternate Means
for achieving in person proofing, as defined in the IAP. Potentially cite the
AndrewID validation process as a compensating control that makes up for the
lack of the literal "in person"-ness of the process.

Unfortunately, I don't know that there's an objective answer to the second
question; I can see reasonable arguments either way. I'd guess that the only
way to get a definitive answer is to do the audit, submit the process and
justification (and Alternative Means, if that's the route you go) and see if
it gets accepted.

By the definition of requirements in the IAP, I don't think this practice can
be considered "remote proofing". It's possible that by making some changes
(e.g., comparing the ID presented against the CMU student/employee record in
the campus SoRs) that it could be considered remote proofing, though I will
admit confusion about whose records are being validated against when the IAP
says IDs/accounts are to have "confirmation via records of either
[ID/account] number".

--- Eric