assurance - Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:14:33 -0400 (EDT)

> - Are you (planning on) requiring longer passwords?

We do this. If the password is used regularly (say, daily), then yes, a
longer password is an option. However, if the password is used irregularly,
then any increase in security is more than offset by a decrease in usability
plus an increase in deployment costs due to an increased frequency of
password resets. (In our case, automated password resets are not allowed due
to security concerns.)