assurance - Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements

  • From: David Bantz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Password Strength Requirements
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:56:48 -0800

We do recognize that lockout on failed authN is a DoS API.
The rationale for implementing anyway is that actual exploit
would trigger an investigation leading to the miscreant or
circumvention by blacklisting, etc.

We silently suspend logins in LDAP for 30 minutes following
5 wrong password submissions. This limits the total number
of attempts over the life of the password so can be used to
increase calculated password entropy.

Informal assessment of experience is that DoS is much less
frequent than repeated mis-typing or mis-remembered password.
In response we have considered changing password policy
to lock after total lifetime bad password submissions hits, say
10,000.

Joe's alternative of blocking login attempts from offending IP
only is marginally better in foiling DoS by those unable to use or
spoof multiple IP addresses.

David Bantz
U Alaska