assurance - RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...

  • From: "Jones, Mark B" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:53:41 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

I am a two-factor fanatic. I use the Google OTP. I have my Comodo cert on a
USB token and I love it. I wish I could use it to authenticate to
everything. But currently precious little is designed to accommodate
two-factor authentication of any kind.

The idealist in me is cheering you on (though I think you should be talking
about two-factor in relation to the development of a Gold profile), but the
realist in me has to acknowledge that even if the Silver Profile was changed
to accommodate a two-factor path to qualification (which I don't support) I
think there are barriers to actually making use of such credentials on any
meaningful scale. Cost of tokens, user education, modifying services to
accept two-factor,... perhaps others.

For us, my observation has been that IT Security, Legal, and Executive
support are critical. You have to look at the cost of security breaches due
to lax Identity Management in terms of loss of money, loss of data, and loss
of reputation. You also have to look at your ability to claim due diligence
with respect to Identity Management. Whether you qualify for Silver or not
you will still have services that handle sensitive data on campus that only
work with passwords.

Ask your skeptics how many front page news stories or lawsuits about security
breaches and data loss it will take to convince them that more security is a
good thing.