assurance - RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...

  • From: Russell J Yount <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] silver and two-factor ...
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:27:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

One issue with password credentials is the possibility of brute force
password attacks from the Internet. The password policies in InCommon
Silver/Bronze mitigate the security risk but leave institutions open to
possibility of denial of service from the Internet due to lockout or
temporary suspension rules if the institution has a large number of services
exposed to the internet. We have seen very high rates of attacks on common
usernames such as "david".

Brute force attacks may be less likely or at least a different issue with
two-factor.

-Russ

Russell J. Yount
Identity Services