alternative-idp - RE: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks

Subject: Alternative IdP Working Group

RE: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks

  • From: "Chalmers, Alex" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:48:15 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

As an ADFS 2.0 implementer with InCommon in 2011, either of these approaches
would have been helpful. We had some major issues in the beginning, but
three
years on I think we are in relatively good shape. A bit of guidance and good
documentation around implementing to InCommon best practices would have done
wonders to mitigate our teething issues.

In any case, I think there is a middle ground that could be available,
especially with products like ADFS. A prepackaged configuration, with
documentation, could be developed that would provide a basic bootstrap
configuration with InCommon and release a basic set of attributes. Beyond
this basic setup and validation, some sort of facilitator could be utilized
for customization of attribute release policies or provide guidance in
handling issues like changing usernames, etc. I think this approach could
generally work for largely configurable products, but more customized or
solutions needing custom code could be problematic.

For ADFS, specifically, I could see this approach packaging up a metadata
preparser (FEMMA, pysFEMMA, or an alternative) along with a common set of
attribute rules and some implementation guidance, with the requisite
implementation caveats, as an "InCommon ADFS Booster Pack". A consultant or
facilitator could then use this as a minimum required configuration to base
additional implementation from.

I just joined the list today, so I'm catching up on the group's previous
work,
but I would be happy to share Ball State's experience integrating with ADFS
anyone interested.

-abc

Alex B Chalmers
Associate Director, Enterprise Technology and Information Security Services
Enterprise Systems and Infrastructure
Ball State University

765.285.3047 o
765.744.6439 m