alternative-idp - Re: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks

Subject: Alternative IdP Working Group

Re: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks

  • From: Janemarie Duh <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: other strategies that still involve the open source IdP stacks
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:06:17 -0400

On 08/20/2014 12:40 PM, Scott Koranda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the grid that we have constructed so far both Shibboleth and
> SimpleSAMLPhP (local) are single rows, assuming that the operator is
> going to download, configure, and deploy in the usual way that the
> larger organizations have done in the past.
>
> For each of those two software stacks I can envision two more strategies:
>
> - taking each software stack and re-packaging it to include InCommon
> specific boilerplate configuration as well as documentation
>
> - pairing a small organization with an "InCommon approved"
> facillitator/consultant to help guide the organization from initial
> contact up through on-going operations. The facilitator/consultant
> relationship would be "light weight" in that a small organization
> would not have to go through the usual proposal/SOW/contract
> negotiation. Perhaps InCommon has an arrangement to offer X hours of
> "free" consulting to small organizations, or maybe the consultant has
> a simple "pay by the hour with a credit card" offering.
>
> The two strategies above could also be extended for ADFS to some extent.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Are these types of strategies within scope for this group?

Scott,

Your second idea is intriguing.

I was going to add your first strategy to the grid but something gave me
pause. The task of the group is to recommend solutions for IdPs that are
available now to be implemented. So we're not looking ahead to future
solutions.

That said, perhaps we add a section to the final report looking ahead to
what solutions could be. We could then make a recommendation that
someone in InCommon investigate a solution that ties your two ideas
together, i.e., a Shib-in-the-Box solution that a consultant aids in
deploying.

Do I hear a moo?

Janemarie

--
Janemarie Duh
Identity Management Systems Architect

ITS will never ask you for your password. Never email your password to
anyone.