ad-assurance - [AD-Assurance] RE: Radius NTLMv1

Subject: Meeting the InCommon Assurance profile criteria using Active Directory

[AD-Assurance] RE: Radius NTLMv1

  • From: "Coleman, Erik C" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [AD-Assurance] RE: Radius NTLMv1
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:18:51 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ron,

I think I had actually chimed in several weeks ago in regard to this question, as this has been a thorn in our security team’s side.

We are currently bringing up a POC using a variant of #3—our idea (so far just on paper) is to bring up extra DCs that the Radius servers will bind to, specified directly in the FreeRadius config.  These will be very light-weight versions of our DC, removed from public DNS (except for _msdcs for replication) and rather than in a different domain, isolated in their own AD site, configured so that basically the only incoming traffic it will handle will be from the pool of Radius servers.  Thus non-Radius NTLMv1 authN attempts will default to the main AD site and (hopefully) fail. In our case, we haven’t addressed the mitigation of the actual Radius NTLMv1 transmission, only narrowed it to a specific set of DCs so that we can turn off NTLMv1 on the “general use” domain controllers in the main AD site. We are still considering options on how to secure the Radius-AD channel.

If this doesn’t work out, plan B may be to take over Radius using a Windows implementation.

-Erik