per-entity - Re: [Per-Entity] Cloud-based SP Metadata Consumption Challenges (Two-Ways)

Subject: Per-Entity Metadata Working Group

Re: [Per-Entity] Cloud-based SP Metadata Consumption Challenges (Two-Ways)

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Nick Roy <>
  • Cc: Scott Koranda <>, "Domingues, Michael D" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Per-Entity] Cloud-based SP Metadata Consumption Challenges (Two-Ways)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:57:01 -0400

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Nick Roy

> Re: engaging with {Microsoft, Ping, Okta} - Scott's right, I think the
> engagement with at least Microsoft and Ping re: the SAML v2.0
> Implementation Profile for Federation Interoperabililty has born some
> success, and that profile requires MDQ support. Per-entity metadata
> support seems to be much more easily achievable for solutions like
> Microsoft ADFS and Ping Federate, because by definition they are able to
> deal with entity descriptors in isolation, instead of wrapped in an
> entitiesdescriptor. If this group could identify some points of pressure
> worth exerting, I'd be more than happy to start working on the
> relationships (in cases like Microsoft and Ping, they are already in place).

I don't disagree with any of that but it seems we should start by
documenting what Microsoft and Ping are capable of doing TODAY. That
is what the MDQ Client Software wiki page is for:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/SIL4BQ

Ping is not on that page. MS AD FS is on that page but its per-entity
capabilities are not documented because no one here seems to know for
sure.

I'm guessing AD FS does not support the MDQ protocol per se but it
will let you configure a URL to a single entity descriptor. The
security model is probably TLS but I don't know if AD FS supports
explicit anchors. I'll go way out on a limb and guess that Ping is
similar.

But these are just guesses...who knows for sure?

Tom