oidc-survey - Re: Quick notes from today's OIDC Survey meeting

Subject: OIDC Survey Working Group

Re: Quick notes from today's OIDC Survey meeting

  • From: David Langenberg <>
  • To: Patrick Radtke <>, Eric Goodman <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Quick notes from today's OIDC Survey meeting
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 12:52:56 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:IniUpBYHhbszc3y/Xq10dUT/LSx+4OfEezUN459isYplN5qZpcq9bnLW6fgltlLVR4KTs6sC0LWG9f27EjVdqb+681k8M7V0HycfjssXmwFySOWkMmbcaMDQUiohAc5ZX0Vk9XzoeWJcGcL5ekGA6ibqtW1aMlzFOAF0PuX4HJLJx4Tyjrjqus7+fQhSuzq8fb43aTz+7UCI7pFX0sNeLfMJwwfTo3BLM95fyX9rKBrHhx/g/Ma7/7Zo8j5Kpukg+8NGTaTmbuIzSrkOSHwLKWE+rOLsshXGRA3HslYGU25QvR1PDw3M6jnnVZDp9Cb2q7wu9jOdOJjaRK41VXyG5qFkRRnihT0If2o1+X/ajuRth6JaqxuuoFpyz5OCM9LdD+Z3Yq6IJYBSfmFGRMsEEnYZWo4=

On 9/30/16, 12:32 PM,
"
on behalf of Patrick Radtke"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Eric Goodman
><>
> wrote:
>> Maybe beyond the scope of this survey, but I’m wondering if the AAF
>> approach
>> presented is a good model: standardize the communication between the proxy
>> and the application and put support for that layer of communication in the
>> various application libraries, but still leave the protocol handling
>> outside
>> of the application.
>
>I was expecting the majority of use cases to be driven by mobile apps
>and API access. For mobile - proxying and REMOTE_USER aren't going to
>be available as options. For API access, there may be some
>possibilities - similar to how people off load token validation to an
>API gateway - however fine grain access decisions need knowledge of
>both the data being acted on, the user, and the scopes present in the
>token and that is only exists within the app, and not at the api
>gateway or proxy level.
>
>I wonder, if the proxy approach *is* suitable then why are certain
>groups wanting OIDC? From their application's perspective REMOTE_USER
>is getting set whether it was a SAML authentication or OIDC. Is it
>that the SAML SP on boarding process for their institution is
>cumbersome/hard to understand/not cool/takes weeks/etc? Or is there
>something fundamental about what they want to do that makes the proxy
>not suitable?

Our primary use-case involves API Access for which SAML is not a good fit,
especially with delegated API access. Secondarily, the whole "SAML is hard"
thing is a common refrain. The students hate SAML because shibboleth/apache
"isn't cool" and messes up their dev stack which seems to be trending these
days to Node and Nginx. Other devs I talk to want the SAML experience to be
a <dependency> in their pom.xml, some minimal config, and things just work.

Dave