mfa-interop - Re: [MFA-Interop] DRAFT not to assurance@incommon.org about an MFA entity category

Subject: MFA Interop Working Group

Re: [MFA-Interop] DRAFT not to about an MFA entity category

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: [MFA-Interop] DRAFT not to about an MFA entity category
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 16:44:08 -0700

Personally, I'd stay away from the word "assurance," and I was thinking more about compliance with the profile, rather than with the meaning of the entity category.  I've suggested the following edits int he document; how do they look?

  1. If we define an MFA entity category, what should its criteria be?  The group discussed the following:

    1. What does it mean for an IdP to “support MFA?”  Is it the ability to issue assertions in compliance with theassert the MFA profile for at least one member of its community?  Something else?

    2. Should the ability to issue assertions in compliance withassert the Base Level profile also be included so that SPs that prefer MFA but will accept anything else can do that with a single authentication request?  This would imply that the ability to assert Base Level be required of all members of the IdP’s community.

  2. WouldIs there value in a formal institutional declaration of compliance with thesupport for MFA profile cause you to trust its MFA assertions more?  Could that declaration be as simple as a box in the Federation Manager that would be checked by the site administrator, or should further documentation be required?

David