metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently

  • From: Alex Stuart <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: Stephan Fix <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 08:38:17 +0000

Brent,

I can't help with finding the root cause, but I will ask why you're
using that VBscript workaround rather than the Shibboleth SP's own
mechanism for dealing with intermittency at the transport layer? The
SP's MetadataProvider element allows for a backingFilePath attribute.

(see
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/NativeSPMetadataProvider
and
https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/NativeSPReloadableXMLFile)

Your email seems to indicate you have set this, but also that you
populate the location using VBscript.

We've occasionally seen problems where the backing file hasn't been
writeable by the shib process, so I suggest that you check the
permissions on the backing file, and just use Shibboleth to manage the
intermittency.

Alex

--
Alex Stuart
Team Leader - Federated Access Management

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.