metadata-support - Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently

Subject: InCommon metadata support

Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Stephan Fix <>
  • Subject: Re: [Metadata-Support] Shibboleth cannot download InCommon metadata XML consistently
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:22:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 2/3/16, 4:28 PM,
"
on behalf of Brent Wygant"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

>We are running Shibboleth SP version 2.4.3.

That's obviously incredibly out of date, including having multiple
vulnerabilities. So there's not really a lot else to say from my perspective.
Even if there were an issue, it would never be debugged or investigated
without reproducing it on a supported version.

>We currently have a workaround in place that cURLs the XML file to the cache
>and backup location configured in the application, so the failed connection
>will result in loading a current file.

A sporadic issue isn't going to prevent generally correct behavior. Is it
happening over and over until a restart?

>This workaround is not ideal and we’d like help to get to the root of the
>problem as to why the Shibboleth app can’t connect to the remote XML
>resource.

Unless you're seeing it trigger a permanently disconnected state, it's not a
software issue. The log is just telling you what you already know, it
couldn't get the file. That's a network issue.

>Has anyone come across a similar problem that can provide some input and/or
>guidance?

Not even on a version that far back.

-- Scott