metadata-support - [Metadata-Support] Re: eduGAIN and GENI

Subject: InCommon metadata support

[Metadata-Support] Re: eduGAIN and GENI

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Tom Mitchell <>
  • Cc: Tom Scavo <>, "" <>
  • Subject: [Metadata-Support] Re: eduGAIN and GENI
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:24:27 -0500

Tom, I'm copying metadata-support since this may be of general interest:

https://lists.incommon.org/sympa/info/metadata-support

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Tom Mitchell

> I’m seeking your advice with respect to eduGAIN. GENI is not currently
> configured to export to eduGAIN, as far as I know.

Correct. As an SP owner, you would have to explicitly opt in to be
exported to eduGAIN.

> I was just testing the preview aggregate, which imports eduGAIN.
> Fortunately, it just works, so that’s good.

Yes, that's what I would expect. There are no issues with the
Shibboleth SP software AFAIK.

> My question is whether we must filter out non-InCommon institutions from
> our discovery service (we use EDS) so that we don’t confuse our
> international users. I believe that a non-InCommon IdP will not be able to
> send attributes to GENI because we aren’t exported to eduGAIN. Does that
> sound right to you?

Yes, Tom, that's right. If you're not yet ready to export your SP
metadata to eduGAIN, it's best to filter global IdPs from your
metadata feed. Why? Because if (on the off-chance) an international
user were to select their IdP on your discovery interface, they would
immediately experience an error at the IdP since that IdP does not
have access to your metadata. So the simplest thing to do is filter
global IdPs from your discovery interface. Instructions for doing so
are documented in the wiki. [1]

At the bottom of that page is a complete configuration for SPs such as
yours. The config on that page exposes all IdPs with the
registered-by-incommon entity attribute except for those IdPs with the
hide-from-discovery entity attribute. I'm pretty sure that's what you
want to do.

> If there is a mailing list where it would be appropriate to raise this
> question I’d be happy to. And maybe I’ve simply missed something about the
> process where it is easy for me to set up that filtering.

Well, the best overall reference we have is the Getting Ready for
eduGAIN [2] wiki page. If you have any questions about any of that,
please let me know.

> Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Cheers! :-)

Tom

[1] https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/lg07BQ
[2] https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/VASDBQ

  • [Metadata-Support] Re: eduGAIN and GENI, Tom Scavo, 01/22/2016