md-distro - Re: [md-distro] announcing the Phase 1 Implementation Plan

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] announcing the Phase 1 Implementation Plan

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] announcing the Phase 1 Implementation Plan
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:42:42 -0500

Thanks for looking at this, Scott.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Cantor, Scott
> On 12/2/13, 9:12 AM, "Tom Scavo"
> <>
> wrote:
>>
>>As you've probably heard by now, Ops will roll out three new metadata
>>aggregates on Dec 18th. Unless somebody tells me not to, I will be
>>announcing this date to site admins later this week. That will give
>>folks a chance to read the docs and ask questions.
>
> Apologies if I misunderstood something, but is the plan to immediately
> change the certificate used to sign the "legacy" aggregate on wayf?

Now that you mention it, I believe the intent was to leave the legacy
aggregate as-is until Mar 29, at which time a redirect would be put in
place.

> I had the impression the plan wasn't to change that, but the text on the
> new page describing the aggregates says that the legacy aggregate is
> identical to the fallback aggregate, and that aggregate is to be signed
> with the new cert.

Hmm, I think the text on the new page is wrong. I need to go back and
edit that page.

> Basically, does the new cert hit consumers before March if they don't
> manually change the URL, or only once the redirect is installed?

Good question. I think the intent was to leave the legacy aggregate
alone until Mar 29. I misrepresented that on the new page, which I
will fix.

Nice catch, Scott.