md-distro - Re: [md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

Re: [md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:54:29 -0400

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Cantor, Scott
> On 8/16/13 8:56 AM, "Tom Scavo"
> <>
> wrote:
>
>>>I don't understand what that means, unless what you're talking about as a
>>> "dynamic query" is the idea of querying on some arbitrary criteria.
>>
>>Yes, precisely. I want to assume that everything of interest can be
>>known in advance and can therefore be pre-computed, so that all we
>>need to do is map the query to a file in the file system.
>
> Ok. Let's call that "ad hoc" rather than dynamic. Particularly because the
> SP plugin for MDX use is called "Dynamic". ;-)

Yes, the words are getting in the way of actual communication. I
thought I sensed that on the call, which is why I wrote what I did.

>>Of course all of this depends on an online signing key (online in the
>>sense that these processes can be automated), which is why your notion
>>of a trusted HSM for the signing key is crucial.
>
> We definitely need to capture why that is. As we discussed, certainly we
> can precompute a lot signed documents, but with a manual process, we just
> can't do it often.

I think you're right. If the current frequency of signing sits well
with most people, we can just keep doing what we're doing of course.
Internal resources being what they are, however, an automated process
would be well received and much appreciated. What we lose by exposing
the signing key in an HSM might be gained by tightening the validity
window and eliminating the human factor.