md-distro - [md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

Subject: Metadata Distribution Subcommittee of TAC

[md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [md-distro] avoiding dynamic metadata queries
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:04:24 -0400

Some lingering thoughts after today's call...

I'd prefer to avoid dynamic metadata queries if at all possible. I
haven't yet heard a strong argument in favor of queries (thank god). I
think there is much we can do without venturing down that path.

OTOH, I'm completely in favor of standardizing MDX, but we need that
for addressing purposes, not as a query language.

I'm strongly in favor of moving the signing key online (in a trusted
HSM) and automating the signing process. That's probably the single
most important thing we can do.