interfed - [inc-interfed] InCommon requirements for MDUI DisplayName

Subject: Interfederation

[inc-interfed] InCommon requirements for MDUI DisplayName

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: Interfederation TAC Subgroup <>
  • Subject: [inc-interfed] InCommon requirements for MDUI DisplayName
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 19:33:40 -0400

I've distilled our requirements surrounding MDUI DisplayName to the
following short list. Note: The word "MUST" is synonymous with
"otherwise we will drop the entity descriptor on the floor," at least
in those cases where the requirement can be easily enforced by the
software.

Hope this helps,

Tom

PS. This list of requirements has not been reviewed by Ops or TAC.

-----

- Every IdP entity descriptor SHOULD include an <mdui:DisplayName>
element for discovery purposes.

- If an IdP entity descriptor does not include an <mdui:DisplayName>
element, an <md:OrganizationDisplayName> element MUST be present and
moreover it MUST be a suitable replacement for <mdui:DisplayName>.
[ref]

- An IdP's DisplayName is computed as follows. If the IdP's entity
descriptor contains an <mdui:DisplayName> element, the IdP DisplayName
is the value of <mdui:DisplayName>. Otherwise the IdP DisplayName is
the value of the <md:OrganizationDisplayName> element. For any given
metadata aggregate, the list of IdP DisplayNames so computed MUST NOT
contain any duplicates.

- Every SP entity descriptor MUST include an <mdui:DisplayName>
element for login and consent purposes.