assurance - [Assurance] Assurance profiles and preferred names

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] Assurance profiles and preferred names

  • From: "Wessel, Keith" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [Assurance] Assurance profiles and preferred names
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 22:33:04 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi,

We’ve got a group on campus working to implement preferred names for students, staff, and faculty. Often, especially with our international students, a student will want to use a preferred nickname instead of their legal first name.

I don’t recall anything specific from the assurance profiles applying to the use of preferred names, especially on ID cards, and that’s where the question lies right now. Is there any guidance or restriction from the profiles for using a preferred first name in addition to or in place of a legal first name on university-issued ID cards? Our group’s suggestion right now is to have the preferred name on the front of the card and the legal name on the back. But we don’t want to go down a road that’s going to make bronse/silver more difficult ahead.

Thanks for any insight,

Keith