assurance - Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:49:22 -0400

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Von Welch
>> telephony < soft tokens < hard tokens
>
> Why are "soft tokens" - which I interpret as mobile app based approaches -
> stronger than SMS?

As I said, that requires further justification (which is where we're
headed with this conversation, I suppose). My gut reaction is that the
telcos are completely untrustworthy and moreover there's no obvious
way to apply crypto and other security measures to their
infrastructure and protocols.

> Is the inter-application separation stronger such that it is harder for a
> trojan to scrape SMS messages than data from another App?

I don't totally understand that question but clearly the Bad Guy has
subverted SMS first so evidently that is the weakest link. At least
with mobile apps, the telco is cleanly removed from the security
equation (as evidenced by the fact that an iPod touch functions well
as a device with soft token).

> How much harder and how long before we expect that to fail?

I don't know. Maybe others would care to hazard a guess?

Tom