assurance - Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] attacks on SMS-based 2FA
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:11:08 -0400

> telephony < soft tokens < hard tokens

Why are "soft tokens" - which I interpret as mobile app based approaches -
stronger than SMS?

Is the inter-application separation stronger such that it is harder for a
trojan to scrape SMS messages than data from another App? How much harder and
how long before we expect that to fail?

Thanks,

Von

On Jul 24, 2014, at 8:23 AM, Tom Scavo