assurance - Re: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] can two-factor be hacked ?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:59:58 -0700

Actually, that's a good point. The reason that Duo doesn't help in
Steven's scenario is that it's out of band from the browser session.
The screen-scraping proxy (man in the middle) handles the password, and
then the real application asks Duo for confirmation without involving
the proxy, so the mutual authentication doesn't see the browser
session's man in the middle.

FIDO, on the other hand, is in-band, so the proxy would have to fake the
mutual authentication somehow. I don't think that's possible, but I'm
certainly willing to have someone with greater understanding than I show
me wrong.

David