assurance - RE: [Assurance] Failed Authentication Counter Strawman

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] Failed Authentication Counter Strawman

  • From: "Michael W. Brogan" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] Failed Authentication Counter Strawman
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 21:25:28 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Benn,

Several months ago we at the University of Washington went through an
exercise to see how we might implement failed login tracking with our
systems. What we came up with was nearly identical to what you described and
diagrammed. We haven't implemented anything yet, but it's safe to say we are
considering a similar approach.

We were especially interested in using failed login counts and max guesses
per entropy level as the driver for password changes rather than
pre-determined password ages. I'm curious if anyone else has implemented
something like that on their campus yet.

--Michael