assurance - Re: [Assurance] example of login handler that conditionally supports 2FA

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] example of login handler that conditionally supports 2FA

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] example of login handler that conditionally supports 2FA
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:30:26 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 10/31/12 10:25 AM, "Tom Scavo"

>I'm looking for an example of a Shibboleth login handler that supports
>two-factor authentication but doesn't strictly require it. In particular,
>if two-factor authentication fails (due to a service or network error),
>the handler falls back on password alone. So, for example, if the SP
>requests Silver, Bronze, or PasswordProtectedTransport (in that order),
>the IdP would fall back on password alone in the event it can't meet the
>Silver requirement due to a failure of the two-factor authentication
>system.

Mine's in the neighborhood, but I haven't done any work on supporting
multiple contexts at once, and I don't have separate UI for the different
back-ends, so it only prompts with a single form. Since the credentials
would be different, it would rely on the user to know that if SecurID
didn't work, he/she could try a password.

It does support not using the password back-ends if the TimeSyncToken
method is requested so it mostly does the right thing.

-- Scott