assurance - Re: [Assurance] identity proofing, address of record .....

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] identity proofing, address of record .....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] identity proofing, address of record .....
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:31:29 -0400

On 9/17/12 11:05 AM, Renee Shuey wrote:
Hi Steven,

The TAC subgroup who worked on "refining" the Silver specifications
spent a good bit of time on discussing this one. We chose the
wording in support of each campus determining what "address of
record" means to them.

And Mark is right, it is more about the practices/procedures that are
in place to bind the individual to that address and then use that
recorded address (whatever type it is) to prove that is the
individual.

Thanks. I'm trying to understand how the Address of Record is Confirmed, and perhaps used.

Section 4.2.2.4.2 (In-Person proofing) says:

1. The RA shall establish the Subject’s IdMS registration identity
based on possession of a valid current government photo ID that
contains the Subject’s picture (e.g., driver’s license or passport),
and either an address or nationality.

2. The RA inspects the photo ID
and compares the image to the physical Subject. The RA records the
document type and issuer, the address given on the ID if there is
one, and the date of birth shown on the ID if there is one. If the
ID appears valid, the photo matches the physical Subject, and the ID
confirms the Subject’s date of birth, the RA authorizes issuance of
Credentials.

3. If the address given on the ID does not confirm the
Address of Record, it must be confirmed as described in §4.2.2.5
below.

Use Case 1 -- a person comes to the HR office, and presents, let's say for the sake of the discussion, a driver's license issued by Liberia; it has a name, photo, and an address. That would seem to meet criteria 1 and 2 above.

Since the presented ID contains an address, then criteria #3 doesn't apply ?

Use Case 2 -- a person comes to the HR office, and presents a Residency Permit issued by Kurdistan; it has a name, photo, and a Nationality. That would seem to meet criteria 1 and 2 above. However, it would not meet #3 above.

So, we have to use 4.2.2.5 -- Address of Record confirmation. My read of this is either a) the subject provides a snail mail address and we send them them a letter at that address and they respond (presumably a local address), or b) the subject provides an email address of ANY sort and we send them an email and they respond.

Could that email address be a Bronze level account already issued to them by our campus ?

thanks for your patience .... ;-)