assurance - Re: [Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....

  • From: "Cantor, Scott" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:35:00 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On 8/20/12 11:25 AM, "Ann West"

>Can you explain what "a policy against such apps" means? Do you mean "a
>policy against non-silver-compliant apps using silver credentials"?

Yes. Telling depts they can't just stand up password harvesting
front-ends. At most sites, that's unenforceable because if nothing else
you have email openly available as a password checker (though that's
changing somewhat with all the outsourcing of email I guess).

I'm very skeptical of such "don't ask, don't tell" approaches to all this,
and yes, that's one of my arguments here for two-factor as you said.

-- Scott