assurance - [Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....

  • From: Steven Carmody <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Assurance] dept's leveraging central authentication systems ....
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 15:45:38 -0400

I'm writing to ask whether I'm "over-interpreting" a section of the Silver profile.

Section 4.3.6, #3 states:

If Authentication Secrets used by the IdP (or the IdP’s Verifier) are
exposed in a transient fashion to non-IdP applications (for example,
when users sign on to those applications using these Credentials),
the IdPO must have appropriate policies and procedures in place to
minimize risk from this exposure.

I've been interpreting this to mean ....

-- if a campus believes that its password-based mechanisms are silver compliant....

-- if there are machines or services where the password of a silver-certified user passes through those services in plaintext form

-- then the campus MUST have "appropriate policies and procedures in place to minimize risk from this exposure"

-- and I have been interpreting "appropriate" to mean "the same as all the policies and procedures relevant to our IDP infrastructure". Equivalent would also probably work here, but I don't want to start down that slippery slope just yet.

An easy example of this situation is a dept web server with some protected content that is authenticating against the central ldap server.

My question is -- am I using too strict a definition of "appropriate" ?

What are others in this same situation doing ?

Thanks!