assurance - [Assurance] credential renewal or re-issuance

Subject: Assurance

[Assurance] credential renewal or re-issuance

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Assurance] credential renewal or re-issuance
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 11:05:59 -0400 (EDT)

In section 4.2.4.3 ("Credential Renewal or Re-issuance") of the Silver IAP,
it suggests "A short-lived single use Secret sent to the Address of Record
that the Subject must submit in order to establish a new Authentication
Secret," which could be interpreted as using email to deliver a short-lived
secret for the purposes of password reset. However, email-based password
reset is vulnerable to a lost or stolen mobile phone (since mobile phones
invariably have access to all the user's e-mail accounts) so I'm wondering
how people plan to handle password reset for Silver compliance?

I wonder if this topic will come up on tomorrow's EDUCAUSE Live! presentation
(http://net.educause.edu/live) where the topic is "Bring Your Own Device"
(BYOD)?