assurance - RE: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?

Subject: Assurance

RE: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?

  • From: "Roy, Nicholas S" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:06:24 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

This is an area where an institutional policy requirement that clients not
cache passwords or if they do, they cache them in a reasonably secure way
might be the best that a lot of places can do. While credential caches on
clients may be in-scope, in the higher ed space, there is probably not a
reasonable way to force a specific behavior or restrict to just certain types
of clients without creating problems for customers. For example, how many
institutions now have a huge diversity of mobile devices connecting to their
wireless network and e-mail systems? Probably most if not all. If you
already have this heterogeneous client base, how realistic would it be to
require specific types of devices connect to these systems? You'd have a
lot of upset customers on your hands if you did this via enforced policy
rather than documented policy. The question then becomes one of user
education: how do you tell people that their ancient Android phone caches
passwords in a plain text file but their brand new iPhone caches them in an
encrypted store? How do you get them to comply? Do you offer them subsidies
to upgrade to a new device? That's kind of going down a slippery slope, but
it's illustrative of the problem. You also have to be concerned about SPs
that use the ECP profile, and probably have to have a contract with them that
covers their handling of the password as it transits their service. An
example of that would be outsourced e-mail that uses the ECP profile to allow
smartphones to access mail using a federated identity.

I think client management or lack thereof is probably one of the biggest
problems in this space, and again it's not one that's Active Directory
specific. This is a problem for any system that uses password-based
credentials for Silver assertions. It's also a problem for personal
certificate-based authentication for Silver- if a mobile device or
workstation is compromised, and you have your personal cert on it, even if
it's protected with a PIN, that's arguably pretty easy to crack and is then
completely compromised.

Nick