assurance - Re: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?

Subject: Assurance

Re: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?

  • From: Eric Goodman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Assurance] Has anyone looked at using InCommon Silver accounts to access a secured wireless network?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:59:19 -0700

In general, higher ed (and certainly our institution) doesn't have any good
way to ensure that all machines are configured to not cache. (And you'd need
to enforce/audit it on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iPhone, etc...)

We basically require any application to show how it will keep the clients
from caching the credentials before granting access to the password. Some of
our wireless/VPN services have been able to meet this requirement (e.g.,
client credential caching is controlled or influenced by a server-side
setting, or other mitigations), and some have not. We have a "lower security"
password that we sometimes make available to apps that are not able to meet
this requirement.

--- Eric

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Cynthia Haselton wrote:
> There are methods for limiting the cache for Windows clients...specifically
> the cache maintained by the operating system.
> For more information on client credential caching, see this article
> (2003/XP): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913485

Eric Goodman
Identity Management Project
UC Santa Cruz