alternative-idp - Possible Use Case/Gedanken Experiment: Alt-IdP-friendly Specifications for Public K12 Open Data Collection System

Subject: Alternative IdP Working Group

Possible Use Case/Gedanken Experiment: Alt-IdP-friendly Specifications for Public K12 Open Data Collection System

  • From: Shaun Abshere <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Possible Use Case/Gedanken Experiment: Alt-IdP-friendly Specifications for Public K12 Open Data Collection System
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:56:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Colleagues,

You will find attached a summary “timeline” that summarizes what WiscNet knows today

about how public K12 in Wisconsin will participate by September 2016

in an “open data collection system” built on modifying the Student Information Systems

(“SIS”) operated by local districts.  WiscNet serves 75% of these districts and our State

Department of Public Instruction (“DPI”).

In sum, the 12 (!) vendors who provide Student Information Systems to local districts

must adapt their products by Sept ’16 to provide data, interoperability, authorization

and authentication specified by DPI, largely based on the Ed-Fi Alliance's technology.

DPI does not have a legislative mandate to specify SIS-based support for a full-blown

federated identity management scheme but is friendly to enabling what they can

by way of their specifications for local districts’ SIS that might support inter-operability

with a locally-controlled SAML IdP.  Each district is free to implement

complementary products or services that use, extend or ignore the new SIS functions.

WiscNet has an opportunity to influence DPI’s specifications.  I’m wondering if

the working group might treat the attached document as a “use case" appended

to the report, opine on whether our report contains the information needed to recommend

which alternative IDP approaches are best-suited to it, and (perhaps)

offer me suggestions on what to recommend to DPI regarding additional specs.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

-       Shaun

==

Shaun Abshere . WiscNet .. 608 210 3941

  • Possible Use Case/Gedanken Experiment: Alt-IdP-friendly Specifications for Public K12 Open Data Collection System, Shaun Abshere, 10/10/2014