alternative-idp - Re: implementation vs deployment criteria

Subject: Alternative IdP Working Group

Re: implementation vs deployment criteria

  • From: David Walker <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: implementation vs deployment criteria
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:35:33 -0700

I've always viewed this table as a deployment table. The columns that,
I believe, have been associated with "implementation" I associated with
"capabilities." The fact that the same text may appear for some columns
of multiple rows didn't bother me, as it's not a very big table. In the
end, I think we'll want to present our findings as a set of deployment
options (which do include software) without making the reader jump
around too much.

That said, I'm OK if there's general support for creating an
"implementation" table (although perhaps "software" would be a better
name for it?). We probably don't want to go too deeply, though, into a
comparative evaluation among the software options, independent of the
deployment strategies we've identified. That could really be a rat hole
for our effort and probably not particularly useful for our target
audience who aren't going to want to do a lot of improvisation on what
comes "out of the box."

Regarding outsourced strategies, I had originally figured that we'd have
multiple rows for similar outsourced services from multiple providers.
Perhaps for now it makes sense to describe a particular outsourced
offering (even if hypothetical), then we can approach vendors for
variants of that row, as we feel is appropriate.

Regarding Mark Scheible's comments about the "applicable environments"
column, I was thinking of that as being something like "AD-centric" for
ADFS, or "Google-centric" for a GAE gateway, which is certainly one of
the reasons to be considered in making a selection, but not the only
one. I do like the suggestion of a "risks" column to balance
"benefits." Maybe just "pros" and "cons" would be even better?

David