alternative-idp - Re: Meeting Notes and Wiki Access

Subject: Alternative IdP Working Group

Re: Meeting Notes and Wiki Access

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To: "Jones, Mark B" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Meeting Notes and Wiki Access
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:07:35 -0400

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Jones, Mark B
> On the strategies and assessments page
> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/altidp/Alternative+IdP+Strategies+and+Assessment+Criteria
> I have a question about the description for 'Google Apps Gateway'.
>
> The description reads: " An OIDC-to-SAML gateway, often operated by a third
> party, for participants that have a Google Apps account (such as GA for
> Education) "
>
> Don't these allow users with any flavor of Google account (including
> @gmail.com accounts) to authenticate, not just users with GAE accounts?

Yes, but notice that I also added Identity as-a-Service with Google as
an option. I think it's useful to make a distinction depending on
whether Google manages the passwords or the campus manages the
passwords. See: https://spaces.internet2.edu/x/FgrkAg